Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

Need info on std tests results.....

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

27yearsnowlost posted 4/30/2013 07:01 AM

My WH results are back and it was negative for everything but herpes. I know that there two types 1 and 2.
He does get cold sores a few time a year. I know that is type 1 but does the test tell you what type? He has a dr appt to go over the results.

tushnurse posted 4/30/2013 08:04 AM

There is a differentiation on the test from type 1, and 2. However if he gets cold sores, he certainly had type 1. Which means you probably are at the very least a carrier. Now here's the other fun fact w/ herpes.

You can have type one become active on your type 2 parts, and type 2 be active on type 1 parts. It is treatable with the medications they have now, which is good news, the bad? It is NOT cureable.

Have you yourself been tested? If not you need to be, HPV tests in men can be wrong if done correctly ( which very few MD's are properly trained to do), and it can be silent in men.

This is just a very ugly part of this whole mess.

Wishing you (((and strength ))))

Butterfly24 posted 4/30/2013 14:53 PM

I don't know how it shows up on tests, but I do know how you are feeling.

I found out my husband was cheating on me when I went to my yearly dr visit and found out I have herpes.

Nogoingback posted 4/30/2013 15:41 PM

Hi 27yNL
I am a doctor. The types are irrelevant these days because of generations of oral sex. Type 1 used to be coldsores and type 2 used to cause genital herpes but now you can have either type in either place. So your WH already had one type due to his coldsores. And you were already exposed to it anyway because you have been in a sexual relationship with him.
I wouldn't worry about the herpes - he already had it. If the others are clear that is good.

27yearsnowlost posted 4/30/2013 16:23 PM

Nogoingback....thanks....he has alway had cold sores on his lip a few times a year. I had my annual female check up but did not had blood work done. We have not had sex for while. He hired someone off of Craigslist so I was worried. Is there any other test he or I should have?

Nogoingback posted 4/30/2013 17:26 PM

Have sent you a PM

D!senchanted posted 4/30/2013 17:50 PM

HI, 27yearsnow...

I am not a doctor, but I made sure to discuss my needs with my doctor to be sure I got both tests.

I get cold sores--type 1. I've always had it and it's manageble. But I do not have type 2--which in my opinion is way more miserable when speaking with people who've had it.

When I went with my husband to insist he get an STD test from his doctor, his doctor also used the "Don't worry about it" line. I was offended and pizzed. I beg to differ on that opinion.

If I receved another form of herpes from my fwh that I could treat, I damn well want to know about it. There is a difference--psychologically and physically.

I was angry when I didn't see that test performed after we specifically requested it.

Don't let a doctor disregard you or your husband's requests.

You may choose not to worry about it. But as far as I know, you can treat cold sores with over the counter remedies. You need a prescription to treat Type 2 herpes.

Just sayin.


Nogoingback posted 5/1/2013 00:38 AM

Not saying don't worry about it as in it's not important, of course it is. Just want to clarify in case anyone misinterprets. I meant don't worry about the blood test because it doesn't actually tell you if you have the virus, just if you've developed antibodies to it. Which you can test positive to even if you never get the blisters. The only way to confirm if you actually have the HS virus is to swab the base of an active ulcer. That's why I was sayng don't worry about the blood test, it can give false positives. If there is another test in the US that I am unaware of, I would be interested to hear. In Australia it is just what I've mentioned above. The swab is a PCR test, which will diagnose either type. It is an important and worthwhile test, and can be done as soon as there is a blister/coldsore to swab.
BTW over here the distinction is between oral and genital herpes rather than type one and two because as I was saying, people's sexual practices have well and truly mixed them up! So usually over the counter treatments are ok for oral and tabs needed for genital, regardless of type. Do they prescribe based on type in the US? Genuinely interested.

[This message edited by Nogoingback at 12:40 AM, May 1st (Wednesday)]

D!senchanted posted 5/1/2013 01:09 AM


I don't know if they prescribe by location of the ulcers alone--but I do know that a prescription is needed for genital herpes.

Thank you for clarifying; I really didn't mean to sound so snappy. I'm very sensitive about the matter and I don't want to see anyone's concerns treated with any sort of disregard.

I believe we are our own best advocates when it comes to our health.

End of thread jack.

tushnurse posted 5/1/2013 07:49 AM


To answer your question, and my personal experience, has been that many folks will try the OTC remedies, no matter where location, when that does not work, then they go to the Dr, and get Rx meds. If it gets rid of it, then typically they are told to call/come in for a Rx if they have another outbreak. Very few MD's have folks w/ type 2 take meds on a daily basis for an indertimnate period of time. (as a Nurse who worked in the field of colorectal medicine for many years we saw a lot of it).

My other concern for 27, that she personally be tested for STD's, d/t her level of exposure before she knew, and the prevelance of HPV in the US, and the fact that many MD's are not good at testing for it, esp in men.

Hope this helps answer your question.

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.