Forum Archives

Return to Forum List


You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Tesa posted 6/3/2013 16:39 PM

Almost a year ago, I applied to have my CS modified through the attorney general. I did it because my monthly health insurance cost(i cover the girls) doubled.

Ex-h is a cop and the % of CS he paid is not based on his total income. I was nice when we split & let him have a lower %. He pays 17% of his income because his total income was based on a series of extra-jobs that can come or go.

Well, the modification has come up and my ex is frantic. He has texted me multiple time and called me twice. I replied to his 1st text explaining that I filed a modification for insurance. I then spoke to him to and explained (again) the situation. He has presented me with a few options to not go through the attorney general (like adding the girls to his insurance).

He is now (again) telling me that his salary income is SO much lower and it's all based on extra jobs. I don't want to be a money grubber but if his income is that inflated by extra-jobs, why aren't the girls benefiting from it? Why do I feel like the bad guy for just asking him to pay the % of his total income like everyone else does? Am I being unreasonable?

gma56 posted 6/3/2013 18:47 PM

I would go through the court as planned.
He is the one that needs to convince and show evidence to the court if his income is lower. The burden is on him that is why he's frantic now.
If he's a cop then the court will make sure the children are on insurance and garnish wages so they have the CS they deserve.
Go through the court !!!! Then you have recourse if necessary.

Skan posted 6/3/2013 18:59 PM

You were nice once. That should be his last freebee. Let the court determine what's correct.

Helen of Troy posted 6/3/2013 19:13 PM

Am I being unreasonable?


hoya96 posted 6/3/2013 19:24 PM

Get what you are legally entitled to for your children.

FlySomeday posted 6/3/2013 19:54 PM

Please, go through the courts!

Kajem posted 6/3/2013 20:02 PM

Get what your children are entitled to. They may not need it now, Then save it. They may need it when they go to college. or leave college for a job.. it could really help a graduate out... any amount would.

He needs to be responsible at least minimal financial responsible.


persevere posted 6/3/2013 21:15 PM

I know a lot of cops and they make a lot of $$$ from the side jobs. Income is income. He got away from excluding it for quite a while, now he won't for a while. He has two alternatives - step up the side jobs, or stop them and suck it up for a year until he can show substantially less income. (I doubt he goes with the second). I say you let the court do it's job. Let's think about this for a minute - without this incentive would he have EVER offered other options? (The expected answer is no, because, typically, it is all about him....)

torn2bits posted 6/4/2013 12:07 PM

Go thru the courts. If he is a cop then he has good insurance.

My kids get his insurance AND percent of his entire income.
Yours should too.

Save any extra, they always need it for college, graduation, whatever he is not saving for them.

ButterflyGirl posted 6/4/2013 12:17 PM

Why do I feel like the bad guy for just asking him to pay the % of his total income like everyone else does? Am I being unreasonable?

I can't stand when they try to make us feel bad for asking for what is RIGHTFULLY ours. Especially regarding the children. NO, YOU AREN'T BEING UNREASONABLE. I think you were TOO reasonable allowing him to pay less than he should. It's for your kids!! FTG!!

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy