Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

Update to someone using my social to file a tax return

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

peridot posted 6/10/2013 22:43 PM

I posted several months ago about someone using my social to file a tax return. I thought it was my XH or the OW.

I've been calling every week for the last 6 months. Today I called to get an update and the lady somehow got confused with the addresses and blurted out dipshit's and the whore's address. I told her that wasn't my address, it was the one I gave her. I let her know whose address it was.

She's looking over the file and they have issued a refund to me and they will be turning over the case to fraud dept when that gets mailed to me.

She makes some notes to let them know who I think it is. Now I have to fill out some forms to help them with the investigation. I made sure that she added some notes that I would be more than happy to assist them in any way that I can, including testifying if they need me to.

Today turned out to be a very good day.

Nature_Girl posted 6/11/2013 00:10 AM

Dadgum! Well, with any luck Uncle Sam is going to FTG!

peridot posted 6/11/2013 00:25 AM

Yep, they're going to FTG or FTwhore.

She couldn't give me a name. She wasn't supposed to have mentioned the address because of privacy laws but it was a good thing it slipped out by accident.

I couldn't believe the government has privacy laws to protect the criminal. I was told though after the investigation is complete I should be able to request a copy of that tax return.

I forgot to mention that they are giving me interest for the time I've had to wait on my check.

Another thing I forgot. He used my son as an exemption when he wasn't supposed to so he will have to pay that money back with penalties and interest.

He should have really thought about it before trying to fuck with me.

[This message edited by peridot at 12:36 AM, June 11th (Tuesday)]

Nature_Girl posted 6/11/2013 00:55 AM


At this point in time I'm half-certain that STBX has filed his taxes without me and claimed the children. Something he's not allowed to do, but since he's expressed zero interest in getting our taxes filed (previous years he was the meanest asshole in the world getting them done ASAP), and since he's refused to cooperate whenever I ask for his forms, I'm left with the growing suspicion he filed w/o me. I can't seem to find any way to discover if he's filed, though. So your post tonight is peaking my interest in this subject yet again. I've been wondering aabout your situation.

peridot posted 6/11/2013 01:53 AM

Are you working yet? Did you file and claim the kids? I would think you are entitled to half of any refund since you aren't divorced yet. A judge can make him show his tax return.

If he is awarded any tax deduction on the kids in the decree make it's stipulated that he has to be current on CS and out of pocket expenses to claim them.

I was told by the IRS that it would be later this year probably before they send out a letter to him.

Nature_Girl posted 6/11/2013 02:08 AM

Not working, and he's had the children for zero overnights so far. I almost half wish he's already filed. Which is why I'm enjoying the laughing faces in your post!

peridot posted 6/11/2013 02:17 AM

He'd be really stupid to not have filed already. Those would be some big fines. I'd see about having your attorney ask the judge to force him to show you a tax return. Then you ask for half of it.

dmari posted 6/11/2013 02:20 AM

I love love love this post, peridot! Thank you for giving me HOPE!! My stbx claimed both kids so my tax return were rejected so now I am waiting for a call from the IRS.

So you mentioned that you've been calling them and now I'm wondering if I should be calling them to?

Anyways, I am sooo happy for you!

peridot posted 6/11/2013 02:27 AM

Dmari have you paper filed? When my return was first rejected I thought it was because he had filed with my kids. That's when I found out someone had filed a return with my social but he also filed with my son.

You can still paper file with your kids. You won't get a call from the IRS. What happens when you paper file is, the IRS will still give you both the amount you are expecting. Later in the year, you'll both get a letter from the IRS telling you to submit proof you are allowed to claim the kids. Like a decree, school records, medical records etc. Whoever wasn't allowed to claim them will have to pay the money back plus penalties and interest.

I was only calling all the time because I knew someone(xh or ow) had filed a return with my social and I was getting updates on that.

[This message edited by peridot at 2:29 AM, June 11th (Tuesday)]

TXBW68 posted 6/11/2013 09:59 AM

I do taxes for most of the people in my family. Peridot is right, Dmari. If you are entitled to claim the kids, file on paper. The IRS will get it sorted.

My cousin's "baby daddy" did this to her a few years ago. He filed first. When I tried to file hers electronically, it got kicked back. I called the IRS. I filed hers on paper. She got a check. He got to repay what he illegally claimed.

He doesn't do that shit anymore!

dmari posted 6/11/2013 16:52 PM

Thank you for the information peridot and TXBW68!!

peridot posted 6/11/2013 18:17 PM

Your welcome, that's what we're here for.

scotslass posted 6/11/2013 21:46 PM

My two pence here!

My ex filed fraudently the last two years, claiming the children as exemptions. He had emailed my asking my permission and I said no to both times.

I sent paper tax returns with copies of my decree. Got my refund last year, awaiting this years results. I have the emails ready to go whenever they are ready to investigate

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy