Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

They don't mess around

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Helen of Troy posted 8/1/2013 09:19 AM

Dept of Rev does not mess around. I got a letter informing me of an IRS refund interception.

I recommend getting state involved in CS whenever possible. At least in my situation, they have my kids' backs.

SBB posted 8/1/2013 09:33 AM

At least in my situation, they have my kids' backs.
I love it when the system does what it is supposed to do. As rare as it is, I still rejoice it.

EvenKeel posted 8/1/2013 09:43 AM

Yes - I encourage everyone to go through Domestic Relations when you set up CS...even if you do not use your state's required CS payments (ie you guys agreed on your own amount).

If you ever run into a problem, it is a lot easier for the state to help if it is processed and transactions recorded through their system.

My neighbor just got a 'government intercepted' check for back CS. Her son is an adult and long gone (on his own) but they said it doesn't matter, his dad still owes that money.

He keeps working under the table to avoid garnishing but she said once he files for Social Security, it will be garnished?

She said it will be 30 years late by then....but she will wait for it

Kajem posted 8/1/2013 10:13 AM

Yes and some states are in the process of lowering the amount in arrears before they contact the IRS. A lot of states are lowering their arrears amount to $2500. They are hoping the lower amount will ease the burden on the temporary aid monies which a lot of single families turn to when the CS first stops . It's a step in the right direction.

Definitely utilize your states CS unit for recording the payments. It can save you a LOT of headaches.



Phoenix1 posted 8/1/2013 13:00 PM

We are working through our dissolution paperwork "amicably." I am only being "amicable" to get him to sign what I want. Part of that includes sending CS directly to me without going through the state system. Thus, he believes that I am being extremely gracious and easy to work with, which is making him be the same in return.

However, what he DOESN'T know is that I have already contacted the state CS system and have been advised I can easily sign up with them any time I want after the dissolution is granted (doesn't require any court approval), which is what I am going to do...

[This message edited by Phoenix1 at 1:01 PM, August 1st (Thursday)]

damncutekitty posted 8/1/2013 14:52 PM

When I was in South Dakota for a vacation a few summers ago with my family, they ran background checks on us before issuing fishing licenses. In SD you can't get a hunting or fishing license if you are behind on CS. I wish MN had this program!!

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy