Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

Beach trip ambo trip to E.R.

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

stupidstupidme posted 9/30/2013 12:24 PM

Haven't been to the beach all year, so my neighbors and I did a spontaneous road trip - no kids - to the ocean this past weekend. It was GREAT - room right on the beach, beautiful weather, we had a nice trip there, got good sleep, woke up Sat, went out for breakfast, ate/hydrated, walked the boardwalk, stopped in a bars and had a few drinks... ate more, drank more, relaxed, went to the beach, etc... etc... I went to bed around 10 ish Saturday - just exhausted after a great day.

FFWD to Sunday AM around 3:00 - 4:00 AM. After sleeping several hours, I wake up and feel restless. Can't get back to sleep, but otherwise calm and fine. Lay there for a while (2 hours) then started to feel nauseous. I threw up a couple times, and there was nothing in my stomach - just bile. Sipped on a couple glasses of water, then some vitamin water. Alternated between very cold and sweaty, so I put a nice cold washcloth on my face and sat on the balcony.

I noticed that my hands were tingly, and thought that was weird. Then my toes started to feel tingly too, and my hands got much, much worse rapidly. The tingling was traveling up them, to my elbows, they almost went totally numb, then they seized up and I couldn't use them. My toes and feet started to feel worse, and I started to get scared.

I woke up my roommates, and told them to call 911. They were asleep, so slow getting up and groggy. I felt my face going numb, so I went down to the lobby and told the lady at the front desk to call 911.

When they came, I was sitting in a chair with my face down, could barely talk, my hands seized up and un-usable, and could barely walk. They took pulse and it was 130.

They took me to ER in ambo - started an IV line, put meds in it - and I threw up the whole way there - I think mostly because I get carsick though.

They kept asking me if I took any illegal drugs - NO - I don't do illegal drugs. They asked if I had a history of panic attacks - nope - mild situational anxiety, but NOTHING like this ever...

At ER, they gave me an IV and put more meds in it, which made me sleepy. When I woke up and IV was done, the tingling and numbness were gone, and other than feeling very weak, I felt much better. I slept the whole way home (3 hour drive), came home took a hot bath, and slept/rested all through the day/night. Had CRAZY dreams last night and woke up several times, but that's to be expected with the meds and my normal sleep patterns anyway.

They said I hyperventilated - due to a panic attack. The thing is, I was NOT anxious or upset at ALL - in fact had a great weekend up to that point! Great... was totally fine.

Nothing has happened since, and I feel ok today - just tired. Anyone with any ideas or the same thing happen to them? I looked online and read about magnesium deficiency... IDK ??

TrulyReconciled posted 9/30/2013 12:32 PM

When was the last time you had a complete blood workup?

stupidstupidme posted 9/30/2013 12:33 PM

I had an annual physical about two months ago.

jo2love posted 9/30/2013 12:37 PM


I'm sorry. I'm glad you are feeling better and are ok.

aLadypilot posted 9/30/2013 14:05 PM

I was wondering if someone had put something in your drink without you knowing?

Glad you're feeling better!

tushnurse posted 9/30/2013 14:14 PM

First of all I am so happy to hear you are feeling better. Second, did they do a tox screen on you at the ED? I would have asked for one, just because it was so weird.

Your symptoms sound totally like a classic panic attack, the numbness, and siezing of hands and feet and progressively getting worse, but that doesn't mean you were having one. You had been vomiting, and probably a bit dehydrated, which causes your body to clamp down on your extremities, making hands and feet cold, and numb. If you had food poisoning, it can do weird things as well.

I had food poisoning in college, and should have gone to the hospital, but was a dumb kid, and spent the next 5 days wishing I were dead. I remember thinking I need help when i was so sick, thank go for the best suitemate in the world. She helped me, but damn, I could hardly function, I remember trying to walk to class on day 3, and getting from my room on the second floor of the dorm, to the street, less than 1/2 a block, and having to sit down on the sidewalk. I was a kid, I can only imagine what it would do to me now that I'm old.

Glad you feel better, keep drinking lots of fluids, and eat lots of bland carbs.

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.