Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

Talk to me! Work options...

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Sad in AZ posted 10/8/2013 20:21 PM

Here's the story: I passed my insurance inspection job course almost 2 weeks ago and have been waiting and waiting and calling and waiting and emailing-you get the picture. I finally got 8 cases yesterday. I will get paid a whopping $90 for what will amount to probably 20 hours of work. This job was advertised as paying $20/hr. It would take me years to reach that point.

However, I also received a job offer yesterday for a position that will pay me more than I've ever made in my life. The only 'catch' is an extensive background check. I've successfully obtained FBI and CSIS secret clearances in the past, but my life has been somewhat chaotic since the S/D and I'm not sure how this will pan out...I have my fingers crossed. My tentative start date is 10/21.

Today I got a call for another interview that is not as high paying as the one mentioned above, but it's still good money and more than I've made in the past.

My point is that I have prospects; can I quit the insurance inspection position? I've only worked one half day, and I hate it. I still have a few odds & ends that need to be tied up, like getting my car inspected and getting snow tires. I could do a half-assed job with the inspection work for the next couple of weeks, treating it as a part time position, but I hate doing things half-assed.

Gah; I don't know what to do.

yewtree posted 10/8/2013 20:33 PM

What does your gut say? I like job offer 1- bag the insurance job. It's a scam.

Sad in AZ posted 10/8/2013 20:45 PM

I have accepted the really good offer, but I have to pass the background check. The second option is a potential interview for a similar position but definitely not a sure thing.

Even if I lose both options, I still won't make enough to live on with the inspections, but some money is better than no money? It doesn't feel that way. I'd rather devote my time to job-hunting. Bleh.

jrc1963 posted 10/8/2013 21:07 PM

Are you sure you'll even get paid by the insurance job?

Was it a paid training? I forget.

If you're sure you'll get paid, why not keep working the insurance job for the cash until the other stuff is firmed up?

I understand hating a job... I worked in a law office for one day when I'd finished my Paralegal training and I hated it so much I didn't even finish the day. I found something much better suited to me within a week and kept that job for two years.

But at the time I was still married and had a cushion (husband's paycheck) to fall back on.

I'm not sure if I'd do that now...

I sure hope job #1 works out for you...

FaithFool posted 10/8/2013 21:10 PM

I'd stay with the insurance thing but don't knock yourself out.

Fingers xxxed for something good to come along.

yewtree posted 10/8/2013 21:21 PM

Interview for job 2. Hope for job 1. If 1 comes through pull your app from 2 and thank them for the opportunity. Insurance job still sounds shady to me.

Sad in AZ posted 10/8/2013 21:35 PM

Insurance job still sounds shady to me.

I know it's legit, but it sucks. I don't get paid for mileage or supplies-have to print out all the forms myself, buy my own paper supplies, etc. They supplied the measuring wheel, which I'll have to return when I quit-no problem.

I did get paid for training-$10/hr-but I received nothing during the 2-week period I was waiting for them to assign me cases. Evidently, the manager that hired me left the company, and they didn't assign me to a new manager right away. No one informed me either. It's a shoddy operation.

Crescita posted 10/8/2013 22:28 PM

Quit the insurance job and keep hunting for your backup. $90 just isn't worth the stress, especially considering you will probably be spending more on food and gas running around for it.

leapyearbaby posted 10/8/2013 23:20 PM

Sounds like the insurance job may end up costing you money once you pay all your expenses...

fireproof posted 10/8/2013 23:23 PM

I would interview for job 1 and 2 until the offer is in hand - background checks etc.

As far as this new job I would stay because if they look at time spent in a position you may appear undecided leaving after they invested in you. Job search on your off time and make time for the interviews. If it is difficult to juggle then give them your two weeks notice. I have heard it is better to stay at least a month.

Good luck! Congrats on the great opportunities! Also normally easier to land a job when you have a job.

Jennifer99 posted 10/9/2013 09:51 AM

I know exactly how you feel Sad.

I don't have any advice except work towards what makes you say "WOOOOO!" and don't devote too much of your energy on the 'doing to get by' kind of stuff. It'll always be there.

Hoping your clearances come back good and you are moving on to your WOOOO!!!!

amitheow posted 10/9/2013 13:37 PM

I think I would quit the insurance thing .... and focus on the other two jobs and hope that background check pans out!

gahurts posted 10/9/2013 18:10 PM

It's really hard to see how you are getting any net benefit from the insurance job. When you factor in the expenses and time, it may well be costing you money as someone said.

You've passed background checks before so even though you went through hell unless you went illegal batshit crazy on him I would think there shouldn't be a problem.

Exit Wounds posted 10/10/2013 08:22 AM

Sad, I would try to stick it out in the scam job and just show up and do a little as they are paying you very little. In the meantime keep looking, keep up research and we all keep our fingers crossed for you to get passed all this background check. When you get your big $$$ then you can look back and know that all these struggles you are going through right now were worth it.

Hang in there and hang on! It will get better. Keep us updated.

Love and hugs,

Eranda posted 10/11/2013 05:01 AM

Keep receipts for whatever you spend on the insurance job, pretty sure all that is deductible at tax time (mileage, supplies, etc).

Sad in AZ posted 10/11/2013 07:46 AM

Well, I'm done with the insurance job. My tire was slashed at one of the sites--no question about it. Now I'm out $95--and I've only made $100 for the week. It's just not worth it. They also want to send me back to one of the sites to do an interior inspection after asking me to do an exterior only--and it's 25 minutes away. So, 50 minutes of travel (no mileage) and an hour of paperwork--for $13. No thanks.

I had the telephone interview for the 2nd prospect--and I'm very interested. A little less money (but still more than I've been making in AZ and TX), it's a day job and it's in sustainable energy, which is near and dear to my heart. It's still an unknown, but I'm feeling pretty good about either option. I'm going to do two last jobs today, then telling them I'm done. (Well, I may wait until pay day.)

I don't think any of this is deductible for tax purposes because I'm not an independent contractor; I'm an employee of the company. I ran into the same issues when I worked for the Consulate.

FaithFool posted 10/11/2013 08:25 AM

Wow, that sucks about your tire. Scary!

Fingers xxed...

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.