But does anyone else also know and see and feel the real gains that we are getting, even glimpses of why we had to go through this? I'm starting to.
The Benefits of Going through hell (for me):
1) Getting out of a relationship which was not healthy from the beginning, but which I was too enmeshed into break away. I needed to break away. I think the only way I would have done it is this way; otherwise I would have wasted my entire life with a man who sold me swampland in Florida! And then I refused to believe I was living in a swamp! I was drowning! Now I'm swimming and it's hard as hell but, oh, my analogy is failing! I hope it makes some sense!
2) Recognizing that I was living an illusion. Getting more in touch with my own reality and hopefully being smarter in the future.
3) Single life is very, very scary but I've always loved adventure and I used to love exploring new things! I will have so much new to explore! I've been so bored and stuck for so long; time to spread my wings and fly!
4) In my case, when my Dad died, my brother and I got into a big problem about the house. Never resolved. I think this is going to indirectly force that issue toward resolution, which is a positive!
5) FINALLY get out of this town and back to where my family and my heart is in my home town. I've wanted out of here FOREVER; now i have no more strings.
6) Finding out how strong I really am. I can fall apart, and I know I will get up. I gain strength every day (NOW, not at first) by surviving, and then waking up. Every day is different and every day I am surviving.
7) Gave my mother an opportunity to finally be there for me. It was very healing for us both.
8) Brought me and my sister in law closer.
I wouldn't have been able to see any benefits before, but now i can. I'm not completely over the hump but I'm getting So much closer, every darn day!!!
I'm grateful for my growth during this hell. I'm learning to transform poison into medicine.
Of course, I'd much rather have a faithful partner, but heck, I have no control over that. However, I can choose to love and cherish myself more out of this hell.
[This message edited by lemony.2008 at 9:46 PM, December 21st (Saturday)]
friends wife lasting 10 years. TT over a
year a year. Now his health is declining,
among the lack of communication.
[This message edited by Chicky at 11:19 PM, December 21st (Saturday)]
1. I had always done anything to help xWH and the kids achieve their goals. I left mine on the wayside. I am following my dreams and finding out that it is okay for me to have my own life.
2. I am able to have direct relationships with the kids and other family members without xWH being in between. Those relationships are much better and more honest.
3. I had given so much of myself without asking for anything in return, I lost myself and my own value. I have both myself and my worth and I will never lose either again.
4. I found my pride.
I love this thread, thank you.
I hate that I had to go through this to gain things, but I really wonder if it had to be this way. Like I really needed to get those things, and this was, for WHATEVER reason, the only way.
Makes one wonder. Makes me wonder!
And I'm not being all Pollyanna about this. I'm actually NOT grateful for suffering. But I am grateful for the gifts of suffering, the opening of eyes, the freedom that comes from FORCING myself out of my situation, even with fear and trembling.
And I'm still a ball of anxiety half the time, and can't eat. I'm skinny and weak somedays and I'm still struggling. But that's okay, well it sucks, but it's kind of okay because i see the gifts and I want them much more than i want my old life back.
Hugs to all. And myself. ((I need hugs too.))
Edited for schmaltz.
[This message edited by TheAgonyOfIt at 5:09 PM, December 22nd (Sunday)]
"New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings"
New beginnings are often disguised as painful endings
If we get to this understanding, the pain starts to lift. It may not be gone, but we're moving through the trial.
Now all I need is a huge injection of courage, and damm the anxiety that has my stomach a flurry.
[This message edited by TheAgonyOfIt at 10:51 AM, December 23rd (Monday)]