Does CA have a minimum time before the D can be final?
As always on SI, this is only an opinion, but I wouldn't go for that. Do you really think you can trust him when you can't monitor his life? Do you really think he wouldn't take advantage of that trust?
"Global editing disclaimer - I edit almost everything I post, and I am not going to post why every time."...re: Bionical girl
So how will you know?
For me, having a clear standing on our relationship helped start to break the codependent cycle. It gave me a set of parameters that didn't leave room for his waffling, manipulations, etc.
I found out one of the reasons why my Ex was pushing for a separation was to buy himself time to sell some of our community property out from under me. He would have legally been able to retain all of the profits. Once I filed for D automatic restraining orders went into effect stopping him from doing anything.
Only you know what will work best for you, but I strongly advise getting legal advice on both options and protecting yourself legally either way. Sooner rather than later, just to be safe. You can always back away or slow down the legal wheels.
Her: WW/57 Me: BS/63 24yrs M
3 great kids, now 22, 20, 17 b,b,g
D-Day 8/14/08, D 1/13/11
If he truly has had a change of heart, I think this is the perfect time to get divorce documents drawn up exactly as you want them (allowing you to move out of state, etc.) He'll sign them, and continue to work on himself and, ultimately win you back. If he's really changed.
However, I'm sure if you were to suggest that, he'd spew venom. I'd bet a ton of money that if he hasn't slept with anyone, it's just because he hasn't found someone willing to sleep with him (it sounds like he's already worked his way through a large portion of the city.)
You are a smart, amazing woman. He's shown you who he is, time and time again. It's time for you to put yourself and your son first.
Are you in IC?
Married: 11 years, no kids
Character is destiny
he brought up my codependency without knowing the term and encouraged me to go back to being an alpha female. But he says after all these years it would be easier for him to accept if we both went and worked on our issues and then looked to see whether anything is salvageable. So he wants to do LS.
So wait, he is setting the terms? And he "happened" to bring up co-dependency? Hmmmmmm.....
Listen, you are the bread winner if I remember correctly? Have you formally gotten anything in writing? Or are you 2 just "talking" right now?
Cuz I am here to tell you that when the WS says to slow things down or they have "changed" but you really have no proof it is just words, it sadly and generally means there is lots more they need to cover up or to be blunt "pilfer" from the marital assests. So please be very careful and not so quick to trust someone who just blew up your world.
But I also know that these things all work at your own pace and time and only you can say when you are ready for anything to be finalized. Are you going to IC only for yourself?
But if there is not a real concrete advantage for you, not just a feeling if uncertainty, then go with a D. Let him prove to you during the waiting period that he really has changed and he really does want to have a monogamous marriage with you. You deserve nothing less. If he can prove it to you, then you can delay the D.
Do not be his backup plan.
He's not a snake, he's a leech! A big gross slimey one.
Tripletrouble -& Nature_Girl the waiting period is 6 months and technically will be up in May. If I did the separation it would be more of a trial divorce (he'd have to move out) and I don't know that I'd keep tabs on him until we reached a point where we started dating, although we may not ever get there. We'd both need months of counseling and soul searching.
Momentintime- his idea has been to cancel the D, I think it's just part of his bargaining. We both make a nice salary but I make more. I don't know that that changes anything since I already filed and we are separated as of November.
Rainbows - thanks I already filed for D so the restraining order is in place. I would ask about the legalities.
Merlin - I guess I'm not sure what I want. I have wanted terribly to stay married for 50 plus years and raise my son in a complete family. If I knew the Snake could really turn over a new leaf as he's now claiming I still have forgiveness inside, but trust is harder to come by.
Phmh - you make some good points. So far he says he won't fight me on the divorce and hasn't responded to my filing (currently working on amending it to get the judge to grant a default). I thought the same thing about the sleeping around. I guess I just wonder if DS's life would be better if we could somehow pull it out of the fire. I do need to start IC soon...
Amazonia - I think I only have to wait 6 months. I'm in the process of filing for a judgement, which is the last step, just need to amend some paperwork for the judge.
Reality bites - I wouldn't let him set any terms. I have already filed for D and separated our assets so no risk of losing anything financially.
Dreamboat - I agree if I ever did separation it would have to be formalized like a D. There's no way I can be convinced to cancel the D by the time it would go through in May so just giving him those 3 months wouldn't help.
alphakite - no he can't keep living with me. I know he really wants to and I might consider nesting, but he's got to move out!
I've thought about it and I'm leaning towards just getting the D as sad as it makes me. I really wanted to stick it out and this is the first time he's shown any real promise and talked openly about the As. I kind of understand why he didn't want to open up in 2008 and I didn't make him. Then when the aftermath of the 2008 A caught up with him that seemed to be the first time he strayed again, that was almost forgivable. But then the 3rd time when he didn't want to work on R because my mom was there? And the fact he doesn't like a lot of my family. And NOW, when I DONE he finally seems to be owning his shit. But is it too little too late. If he's really changed then we will find each other again. The problem is that I can't imagine remarrying him!!! He said if we D then that's it and I think I'd be fine with that since he's no prize. Just not looking forward to co parenting as a divorced couple for 17 plus years and just wondering if thing really could change this time. If there is ANY hope it would be worth the annoyance of not being divorced right away.... I dunno, guess I'm rambling. Thanks.
I did see how young you are though. So I want to remind you....there is so much love ahead, so much life to be lived. With people who you can trust.
It's so hard to let go. But I think I agree with others that you can D and still reconcile if that's what he wants. But it is your journey.
He said if we D then that's it
This one sentence. He is trying to manipulate you. IF he really was interested in changing and working on his shit, he wouldn't be giving YOU ultimatums. This translates to, "Either stop the divorce or there is no chance for us." Can you see how manipulative that is?????
This guy is still a snake. Shields at maximum!
[This message edited by CheaterMagnet at 1:52 PM, February 12th (Wednesday)]