Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

How to get an apartment while seperating?

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

gardens64 posted 3/22/2014 11:00 AM

Hi, we are in the process of separating and I want to move out and get another apartment. We are currently renting and I don't want to stay in the current place after divorce, rent too high.

Do you know what is the best way to word this while looking for a place? I don't want to scare off landlords. My income is very low as I started work after being at home with kids for 6 years. One of my relatives has offered to be a cosigner to start. I have two small kids work full time now and will have joint custody.

damncutekitty posted 3/22/2014 12:14 PM

It's not anything landlords haven't heard before. If you can't afford rent without child support, they might want documentation of how much you are getting. But my guess is that if you have a co-signer they won't really care.

gardens64 posted 3/22/2014 15:16 PM

I can imagine. I live in a very competitive rental area so want to make sure I am putting best face forward...

damncutekitty posted 3/22/2014 17:40 PM

It's best to be up front with landlords. Especially with financial information.

And of course don't even bother looking at places that are not family friendly. No point in wasting application fees on places that don't really want kids running around.

Dark Inertia posted 3/22/2014 20:57 PM

I told them the truth: getting a divorce, need a place. They didn't blink an eye.

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.