So I'm in a bit of a quandry. Fortunately it's one I don't have to resolve immediately. But here are the facts --
* Both me and my daughter's mom (XWW) don't want to live here too much longer. The place I live is kind of miserable and the culture sucks and there's a decent economy but tech jobs are better other places.
* XWW says her husband is finishing a master's degree middle of next year and presumably this qualifies him for better jobs in more locations.
* XWW does not have a place that is strongly preferred, but she does have a vaguely preferred location that's different from the one I want to go to. However, she says she's open to going to other places, including the one I want to go to.
* I am concerned about unilaterally moving my daughter more than 1000 miles away from her mom without thinking it through carefully.
* I will be changing jobs no matter what at the end of the year or sooner.
* I am looking at jobs both in my current location and my preferred location, both internal to my company and external.
* It is not ALL bad here, at least not temporarily; my sister lives here, I have an IC here who has been helpful, I have a doctor here I like, I have a few friends. It's tolerable. The weather sucks to the point where you can't really go outside half the year, but it wouldn't kill me to be here a couple more years.
I'm wondering about pros and cons to unilaterally moving to a new place by myself. I mostly wonder how it will affect my daughter. I wonder what's best for her. (I know what's best for me has an impact on that, but I want to consider her first.)
I don't know if anyone has any thoughts.. I thought I'd make a new thread for it because it's been bothering me a lot.