Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

Who pays? (Not dating related)

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

wildbananas posted 7/11/2014 18:48 PM

The bunch has been invited to their uncle's wedding (ex-asshat's youngest brother). We moved to a different state a couple months ago and this would require travel to our old state.

Frankly, I don't have the money to get them there. I know they'd like to go, though. ex-asshat hasn't seen them in forever (years) and hasn't paid CS for over six years now.

Who should foot the bill for the travel involved if they do go?

gahurts posted 7/11/2014 18:51 PM

I think their father should pay for everything if they go. If he refuses then they cannot go. It's his side of the family and you don't have the money for it. If you had the extra money it would be a different thing but you don't have it so if he wants them there he needs to step up.

Kajem posted 7/11/2014 21:22 PM

My XH is estranged from his family. I am not. I would pay if I had the money. If not, they wouldn't go as much as they would love it.

Must Survive posted 7/11/2014 21:26 PM

Do they want to go because they might see their father or because of uncle?

You don't have the money. If they want to go, what are the chances A$$hat would pay? Is he attending? Are they going to get their feelings hurt if he is asked to pay and he says no. Would he make an effort to see them at the wedding or would he just basically ignore them while they are there? More chances of feelings hurt.

And also I agree with gahurts.

norabird posted 7/12/2014 11:08 AM

Are the grandparents around on that side and can they step in to pay?

Skan posted 7/12/2014 17:38 PM

I'd simply reply back to uncle thank you, the kids would love to attend, but you don't have the money to send them, so you will have to regretfully decline. And then leave it in his hands. If that side of the family wants to come up with a workable plan to get them there, then good on them. If not, you've fulfilled your etiquette obligations.

better4me posted 7/13/2014 15:04 PM

Most definately exasshat and/or his family should pay for the travel and accommodations. Let your bunch know that "you would if you could" pay. Kids can better accept disappointment if it is given in a sympathetic to their needs kind of way.

I like Skan's way of communicating this to your ex bil.

Have your kids make a gift (or buy one with their pooled money) or a card to send to their uncle and his new wife.

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.