Forum Archives

Return to Forum List

Help losing insurance

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Sleepingbeauty posted 8/14/2014 19:26 PM

I am on disability and am losing my secondary insurance that covered my prescriptions and tests, dr visits, etc. I m on severl medications and some are very expensive.

I am finding that due to my age I don't qualify for many programs and if I do the premiums are so expensive and it doesn't cover my meds 100% This is such a big stress as I have to have my meds to function.

Cn he be made to pay the premiums on top of alimony or we split or what? This is now my biggest stress regarding the divorce

hurtbs posted 8/14/2014 19:35 PM

Yes you can write that in but I'm not sure how affordable that is.

Have you looked at your options through the Affordable Care Act? Talked to your Doctor about less expensive generics or how to help cover your costs?

Nature_Girl posted 8/14/2014 19:38 PM

You can certainly try to negotiate the insurance premium, or a part of it, into your settlement. Or you could look into Medicare if you're poor enough.

LifeIsBroken posted 8/14/2014 21:55 PM

Contact your insurance agent / broker, explain the situation, ask what they can do for you through the Affordable Care Act / "Obamacare." Far easier and more effective than trying to navigate the gov't website on your own. The agents get paid per submission.

Gemini71 posted 8/14/2014 23:35 PM

I went to the Affordable Care Act web site and it said according to my income (or lack thereof) I could qualify for Medicaid through my State. So I went to the state website and applied for Medicaid and got it for me and the kids.

I didn't know before, that in our state, there are a couple of Medicaid "plans" that you can choose from. It's actually a heck of a lot cheaper on co-pays and deductibles than our Group policy was.

Example: My antidepressant medications one month supply

Self pay $435
Previous group health plan $95 (plus $485 monthly premium for COBRA)
Medicaid plan $55 and no premiums.

I don't know what your finances are, but if you're on disability, the odds are in your favor for assistance.

Side note: Medicare is for old folks. Medicaid is for broke folks.

[This message edited by Gemini71 at 11:36 PM, August 14th (Thursday)]

Nature_Girl posted 8/15/2014 01:57 AM

Side note: Medicare is for old folks. Medicaid is for broke folks.

You're absolutely right. I used the wrong term. I'm afraid I am not a wealth of information on this subject!

defyinggravity posted 8/15/2014 03:44 AM

Actually, Medicare is not just for those over 65 but also for disabled folks under 65. It sounds like SB has Medicare part A and a supplemental insurance for meds and doctor bills. Sadly, the ACA isn't for supplemental insurance. Medicaid may be an option, depending on income. SB, your best bet is to get the premiums written into the decree. I hope you can.

wannabenormal posted 8/15/2014 04:31 AM

If you are still married and are losing coverage, that is considered a qualifying event that would allow you to sign onto H's plan now (no wait for open enrollment), your coverage is effective the day your former coverage ends.

And if you divorce while covered under that plan - you would be entitled to 36 months of COBRA coverage (same exact benefits). The bad part of that is the cost is 102% of the premium (zero employer contribution) but you'd pay at the single person rate. It could be a bundle of money monthly, but probably still less than paying out of pocket and maybe you could cite your disability (i.e. inability to work) in the settlement and get him to pay for some/all?

You can also ask current carrier if they do individual conversion plans - though that probably isn't cheap either.

And yes, people under 65 can sign up for Medicare (copied from Medicare website...)

There are three ways you can get Medicare coverage if you are under 65 years of age.

1. You are eligible for Medicare if you are a U.S. citizen or have your resident visa, have lived in the U.S. for five years in a row; and

You have a disability and have been receiving Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) for more than 24 months. Your eligibility begins during the month you receive your 25th SSDI check. You do not need to contact anyone. Social Security should automatically mail you your Medicare card three months before you become eligible.

Note: If you are receiving railroad disability annuity checks, whether you are eligible for Medicare and when you get it depend on how your disability has been classified by the Railroad Retirement Board.


2. You have been diagnosed with End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and you
•are getting dialysis treatments or have had a kidney transplant;
•apply for Medicare benefits (up to 12 months retroactively);and
•you ◦are eligible to receive SSDI;
◦are eligible to receive railroad retirement benefits; or
◦are otherwise considered to be fully insured by Social Security, as defined by the length of time you have worked and the amount of money you have made (you need a certain amount of Social Security work credits depending on how long you have worked).

Note: If you are a railroad worker with ESRD, you must contact Social Security, not the Railroad Retirement Board, to find out if you are eligible for Medicare because you have been diagnosed with ESRD.

When your Medicare benefits begin depends on the circumstance. Please click here to find out exactly when your Medicare will begin if you are under 65 and have ESRD.


3. You have been diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's Disease. You will automatically be enrolled in Medicare the first month you receive SSDI or, if you are a railroad worker, the first month you receive a railroad disability annuity check.

Note: Because Social Security and Medicare eligibility rules are complex, you should call Social Security at 800-772-1213 to get the most accurate information regarding your particular situation.

Return to Forum List

© 2002-2018 ®. All Rights Reserved.