D-Day June 12th 2008, D-Day #2 Sept 28th
D-Day #3 Feb 15th & 16th 2010, D-Day #4 Nov 29th 2010
I will go so far as to say Detox IS a HOAX.
The body has a way of cleansing itself it's called pooping.
If you are feeling crappy from eating crappy food then quit eating the crappy food.
If you stick to a lean meat, whole grain (limited carb) and lots of fresh fruits and veggie diet you will feel better, less bloated, and healthier within a week.
Cleanses will make you do just that cleanse, but I caution you for anyone with heart, blood pressure, thyroid, diabetic, or IBS issues you really need to use caution with these. You can end up feeling much worse, or even in the hospital.
If not and you choose to do a cleanse, great. You will probably feel thinner right away and see a loss of 5-8 pounds. This is primarily the amount of waste we carry around. When you eat again the weight will come right back. Some people do this to jump start a diet, and I guess that can be helpful.
Good luck, but I say stick with eating better. Move more, and you will see a result.
I am taking everyone's advice into consideration. I want to get healthy, not mess up my system.
As for tea don't buy the cheep stuff at the grocery store that is in bags. Its crap. You need loose leaf tea and you need to steep it right. Google loose leaf tea and you will know how to do it. Americans steep it to hot and long. It kills all the nutrients in it. Also if you are looking for a tea that is good for over all health try rooibos(red bush) tea.
This too shall pass
I edit a lot because that stupid box is so small!
I try to exercise, just sometimes life gets in the way. I'm getting back into walking, though.
2. Increase your intake of vegetables (try and eat a rainbow of colors). Stick with healthy starches like sweet potatoes.
3. Eat more fruit (berries are high in antioxidents)
4. Eat healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, tree nuts
5. Eat a variety of lean protein
6. Take a multi vitamin
7. WATER WATER WATER!!!!!! If you must, add a bit of unsweetened organic cranberry juice (get this in the natural food section or at a healthfood store. This is NOT Ocean Spray). Aim for at least 64 oz/day, more if you're exercising. Water flushes your system.
8. Green tea is lovely and gives you a nice metabolism boost with the caffeine and EGCG.
9. Sweat. Get out and move as much as possible. Your body releases toxins through sweat, urine, etc.
10. Be prepared to feel like crap (lethargic, weak, headache, moody) for the first week. Your body will legitimately detox from the garbage you regularly eat as well as the sugar and carbs. You can take milk thistle to help combat the carb detox. Keep up with the water and do whatever you have to do to get through it. Once you're past the initial hurdle (for me I feel good by day 4), you'll have energy and feel pretty amazing. Bloating from dairy and grain should subside within a week.
I've found that the Whole30 challenge is a great way to "detox" my body and get off of the caffeine/sugar wagon.