Topic: What did infidelity take away from you?
Member # 41693
| Posted: 1:54 PM, May 12th (Monday), 2014|
So many have already listed what I would have posted, so I think the only thing I would add to the lists is:
It took away my love for him.
ME: BS- 39; HIM: WS - 40 (lostmymind13)
OW: TechnicallyMarriedEx-GF - 47
Sexting,OEA/NO PA (but was planning it before he got caught)
D-day - 11-14-13
Together: 18 years; Married: 15 years
Apologies: I edit. Often.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Dec 2013 | From: Nowhere and Everywhere
Member # 43292
| Posted: 2:20 PM, May 12th (Monday), 2014|
In the beginning it took away my self-respect, my dignity, my ability to trust anything I thought was true, my self-esteem. Those things are coming back - turns out that even after all this I am a pretty good person!
The things it took and are no where near coming back are my trust in my husband, my trust in friendships, respect for my husband, belief that love and marriage are good things, belief that someone has my back in this life, belief that I have a partner in navigating this life.
I would do anything to be able to go back and believe in all this again. I know with all the work we are doing in trying to R that some will come back, but I am scared knowing it will never be the same. I will not be able to give myself completely again.
Me 42 BS
Him 42 WS
DDay #1 11/28/13 - 7 months EA/a little PA
DDAy #2 8/25/14 - oops - did I forget to mention that it was a 15 month PA? With your friend?
Thought we had a chance. But now it's back to square one. I'm too tired to fight for us
Posts: 106 | Registered: Apr 2014
Member # 42975
| Posted: 9:02 PM, May 12th (Monday), 2014|
So very much
- my self esteem
- the belief that we were true partners
- the ability to say "he would never do that"
- my confidence in myself and in life
- to be proud of his achievements as they tie so closely to her and the affair
- the ability to trust people
- my naivety
- my belief that our marriage was sacred
- my home - she is from my home state where my family all are, and the EA and PA were carried on in our new state. We sold our last house - she had come there - even helped us paint our home. Now this new house we are living in is full of memories of hurt
- the feeling that he was the one person that would truly never hurt me and that I was so very special to him
- to be able to have a day where I feel truly happy for the whole day
- to be able to agree when people tell me what a wonderful man I married
- myself in some ways. The fact that I always saw the good in people. That I was caring and would do everything I could to help people and support them - especially him - to achieve their dreams. The only place that got me was handing him the opportunity to have an affair
So very much more I think, but I hope that one day the positives will outweigh the negatives. As terrible as it is, this almost had to happen I think to shake him out of his mindset of invincibility and being untouchable, getting caught up in his own bullshit and other peoples praise. If we can come out of this stronger, it will one day, probably, be worth the hurt. Right now though the hurt is too overwhelming still to be able to see the other side clearly
DD April Fools Day 2014 (unfortunately no joke)
BS (me) 40
OW - a friend of WH for 5 years
4 month EA which turned into a 5 month PA
Us together 20 years, married 17 and 6 kids
I always thought I was enough but obviously not!
Posts: 186 | Registered: Apr 2014 | From: Australia
Member # 41038
| Posted: 9:06 PM, May 12th (Monday), 2014|
It's easier to say what it left:
A shell of a person
A paranoid, insecure person
A person that no longer believes in love outside of parent/child
A person that feels foolish for ever believing at all.
The stones from my enemies, these wounds will mend
but I cannot survive the roses from my friends
Posts: 1893 | Registered: Oct 2013 | From: East Coast
♀ New Member
Member # 43294
| Posted: 10:09 AM, May 13th (Tuesday), 2014|
[This message edited by Ephimera at 4:24 PM, May 18th (Sunday)]
Posts: 7 | Registered: Apr 2014
Member # 35417
| Posted: 10:26 AM, May 13th (Tuesday), 2014|
h o p e
"Noone can make you feel inferior without your concent." Eleanor Roosevelt
I will not be vanquished. Rose Kennedy
Posts: 1889 | Registered: Apr 2012
Member # 30631
| Posted: 10:36 AM, May 13th (Tuesday), 2014|
Unconditional Blind Love & Trust
But, it also gave me a Strength I didn't know I possessed.
In R since shortly after DD.
Discovered what was right in front of him and nearly lost.
Always, tell the other BS! Always!
"It's hard to be in love when you can't tell lies"!
Posts: 874 | Registered: Jan 2011 | From: Northeast
Member # 41986
| Posted: 12:44 PM, May 13th (Tuesday), 2014|
belief that we were special
feeling home is safe
acting with moral clarity
my emotional calm
and replaced it with
"accepting" her wrong behavior
seeing my wife as badly broken
mind movies and triggers
nightmares and or insomnia
return of post combat ptsd
a wife i can never be 100% sure of
never knowing what was real vs illusion/lie
both lists go on and on
me - bh
her - lara01
from 09/11 - 05/13
2 ONS, 10 sexting partners, 1 LT EA/PA
??/06/13 DD/1 - admits to LT EA, begin false R.
01/13/14 DD/2 - LTA was PA.
01/18/14 DD/3 - sexting 5 guys.
01/19/14 DD/4 - 2 ONS with different guys
Posts: 544 | Registered: Jan 2014
Member # 39667
| Posted: 12:58 PM, May 13th (Tuesday), 2014|
I lost my marbles for awhile. I really did. I became unreliable and scattered.
It took away my ability to always believe the BEST about everyone.
It took away my belief that someone I love would not hurt me or my kids.
It took away a sense of innocence that only BAD people are capable of doing something like this...the truth is, now that I understand how it could happen, I see how easily it could happen to a lot of people. There is a reason why people say they can't believe they did what they did.
And as others have mentioned, it took away my ability to trust with no reservations.
BS - mid-40's
SAWH - mid 40's
Kids - 2 elementary school aged
Getting tons of therapy and trying to "work it out"
Posts: 895 | Registered: Jun 2013
Member # 29927
| Posted: 7:48 PM, May 13th (Tuesday), 2014|
I am 4 1/2 years out from Dday. So I will post as honestly as I can from where I am at now.
What his infidelity took away:
- the love I had for my husband, I hardly like him most days
- the naive little girl I once was
- the idea that someone else loved me as much as I loved them
- the idea that having a great marriage would prevent an affair
- the belief that someone I completely trusted would never put a knife in my back
- sleep-though much improved, I still struggle with insomnia
- my confidence in my physical beauty
- trusting people; my ability/desire to make friends; I just don't trust people anymore
- my clean language- I didn't curse for probably 17 years until this happened; it comes from anger and resentment
- the notion that forgiving someone takes away the hurt
- the notion that forgiving meant forgetting- I haven't forgotten
- TIME TIME TIME- I was pregnant when I had my Dday- so many precious moments and time have been lost in the fog, shock, and pain and I resent him the most for this.
- the feeling of being normal
- having a marriage and husband I was proud of
- being married to someone who has been faithful- I will never be able to say, "he was always faithful to me."
-I have not been able to be content yet
What I got:
- Self-respect for surviving and for trying to stay
- I speak my mind and don't let people walk all over me
- I will do anything, including die to protect my kids
- I got and am still in the best shape of my life!
- I'm not afraid of anything or anyone now. I may not trust people but I'm not afraid to tell them to go to hell or confront them for dishonesty/lying
- I don't care about what other people think about how I live my life.
- I don't give a crap if my in-laws aren't on my side
- I don't waste my time on people that I know are sexually immoral or people who just set off some sort of "red flag". I trust my gut now and run like hell when I get that signal that something is not right about someone.
- I don't like to waste my time
- I rest when I need it
- I eat and drink healthy
- I got 2 dogs
- I know I will be ok if my husband dies or is out of the picture
- I love when my husband goes out of town now!
Ok. I think i'm done :)
Me- BS 42
WH-43-5 month PA- outed when I was 28 weeks pregnant with baby #4
Children- 5 children under the age of 10
OW- his boss' wife, a "friend"
*Winners never cheat and cheaters never win*
Posts: 213 | Registered: Oct 2010 | From: The South
Member # 40996
| Posted: 9:50 AM, May 14th (Wednesday), 2014|
I'm going to start by quoting Gandhi. “Nobody can hurt me without my permission.”
That being said, most of us gave permission to NOT be hurt. We all chose to trust our spouses and were betrayed. Along the way, I lost a lot. Mostly things a gave up and I could have controlled.
I GAVE UP:
control of my actions
What I actually lost:
illusion of a happy marriage
a person who wasn't good to me
trust in WW
my children for half of the year
$630 a month
my kitchen table
a couch I wanted to set on fire
M 12 yrs 2 Girls 10 & 7
Phone/Cyber Affairs (3 D-Days)
Status: DIVORCED 4/24/2014
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Posts: 526 | Registered: Oct 2013 | From: United Staes
♀ New Member
Member # 42897
| Posted: 4:53 PM, May 14th (Wednesday), 2014|
My best friend
My adoration of him
My affection for him
My desire to make him happy
My sense of security
My confidence in myself
My confidence in my attractiveness
My desire for adventure
My ability to seek pleasure
My sexual confidence
The last 1 1/2 years of my life
My delight in my children
My motivation, ambition
Me: BS 37
Him: SA 34
4 years together and 2 kids
Porn, strippers, contacted escorts... what more?
Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt.
Posts: 39 | Registered: Mar 2014
Member # 43350
| Posted: 7:56 AM, May 15th (Thursday), 2014|
It took away 6 years of my life. All the gifts he gave me, the Bed & Breakfasts where we spent our anniversaries, the family vacations, the long car rides where we talked and listened quietly to music, the smiles he gave me before taking me into his arms - ALL LIES! I want to wash those years out of my life. All the memories are trash and mean nothing. He was with her - either texting her daily (by his own admission) or falling passionately into her arms when they managed to see each other face-to-face (the opportunities for which became more insidious as time went on). Every time I took one of our sons to visit family or to visit a college or go to a sports camp, he made plans to rush off and be with her - like he was simply biding his time with me - like everything with me was just an act or a facade, something he "put up with" until he could get away and be with the one he REALLY wanted to be with. For 6 years this was what was brewing under the surface of what I thought was a marriage...
Me: early 50's
WH: early 50's
Married: 23 years
DS: 21 years old
Other DS: 18 years old
H's AP lasted 6 years, but we are both trying hard to R.
Posts: 407 | Registered: May 2014
Member # 40264
| Posted: 8:00 AM, May 15th (Thursday), 2014|
My security, my self esteem.... Like a previous poster said, the ability to say "he'd never do that to me".
I said to my H (after the numbness of Dday somewhat wore off) "of all our problems I never thought cheating would be one of them"
Me-BW Him - WH
Married 6 years, together 13+ years
D-Day Summer 2013
If it is what it is then what is it?
**If I edit I'm correcting a typo!**
Posts: 384 | Registered: Aug 2013
|Topic Posts: 54|