User Topic: Financial Aid Programs
Member # 40115
Question  Posted: 11:17 AM, October 29th (Tuesday)

When during the D process can you apply for financial aid programs? STBXH and I are very amicable and he is still putting his pay into the joint accounts for me to use for expenses. I'm a SAHM and have no income of my own. Because he has his own place, we run out of money before everything is paid (we're getting behind on the mortgage).

When can I legally say I don't have his income? When he deposits it in his own account? When we have a support agreement in place? Just wondering.

Edited to correct stupid typos.

Two steps forward and one step backwards, is still progress.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2013 | From: Illinois, USA
Member # 24518
Default  Posted: 6:30 PM, October 29th (Tuesday)

Are you talking FAFSA for college for your kids, or do you mean other types of aid programs?

Say what you wanna say and let the words fall out...honestly
I wanna see you be brave

Pretty pretty please, don't you ever ever feel
Like you're less than, less than perfect

Posts: 12169 | Registered: Jun 2009 | From: DeepInTheHeartOf, TX
Member # 14917
Default  Posted: 8:20 PM, October 29th (Tuesday)

Why is his own place being paid before the mortgage? Do the children live only with him in his new place? If so and your name is on the mortgage too you need to worry about your credit and where you will be living in the future.

If the kids live with you even half the time that is another reason and a huge reason why the mortgage should be paid before his new place expenses.

Not trying to swing a 2x4 but how is this situation amicable?

[This message edited by rainagain at 8:24 PM, October 29th (Tuesday)]

Now, faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you cannot see. Heb 11:1
I done been through the pain and the sorrow the struggle is nothing but love. Maino
Me: Divorced BS 49
DS22, DD19, DS17

Posts: 1299 | Registered: Jun 2007 | From: Massachusetts
Member # 40115
Default  Posted: 12:54 AM, October 30th (Wednesday)

I'm referring to Food Stamps and any other Public Assistance.

The kids live with me most of the time. I guess his apartment is being paid first because it's quicker to evict someone than it is to foreclose. The kids and I are planning on moving in with my parents at the end of the school year.

We're both on the mortgage so both our credit ratings will be trashed. The house is in both our names and since we're 'underwater' in our loan, he would have to give me half the negative equity if I took over the loan, which he doesn't want/can't afford to do. My parents could buy us out, but they 'don't want to help him in any way shape or form.'

I just got my first job in 10 years, so I'm hoping to make a few more payments on the house before selling it next spring/summer. Basically STBXH has washed his hands of the house (never mind his name is still on the loan). I'm the one who's been working with the bank to get a forbearance or payment plan.

It is that whole concept of 'Responsibility' that is totally foreign to STBXH.

Edited to correct stupid typos.

Two steps forward and one step backwards, is still progress.

Posts: 1945 | Registered: Jul 2013 | From: Illinois, USA
Member # 32554
Default  Posted: 1:27 AM, October 30th (Wednesday)

Oh, good luck with food stamps. I was turned down in such a cruel way I was actually crying by the time that beast was done with me.

You're not going to get ANY financial assistance as long as you're benefiting from STBX's income. It doesn't matter if you are unemployed. It doesn't matter if he doesn't give you much of his income. You're married to him, so they assume you benefit fully from his income. Also, if you have any assets like a car, a house, or a savings account, they consider you rich. If he's paying your mortgage, you're rich. If he's paying any of your bills, you're rich. If you can afford to pay a lawyer (even if you've had to borrow the money), you're rich. Rich people don't need public assistance.

It's a Catch-22 that the food stamp people don't seem to understand.

I hope that in your state things are different. I think each state runs their program a little differently. Depending on how old your kids are you may qualify for WIC, too. Or not. LOL

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Me = BS (Stay-at-home-mom)
Him = EX-d out (abusive troglodyte NPD SA)
3 tween-aged kids
Together 20 years
D-Day: Memorial Weekend 2011
2013 - DIVORCED!

Posts: 9995 | Registered: Jun 2011 | From: USA
Member # 32847
Default  Posted: 4:36 PM, October 30th (Wednesday)

In the state of Texas, because I make more than $250 a month, I am not entitled to food stamps or medicaid. They do not recognize "legal separation" here, so until I had filed and gotten temporary orders, his income was still co sidered "marital property" and it was assumed that I benefitted from it. I know in Ohio, they will take into account any assets you have, home, vehicle, life imsurance. Once you sell all those and are truly destitute, you might qualify for assistance.

Tune out the noise of what others tell you about who you are and work it out for yourself...

Posts: 1650 | Registered: Jul 2011
Topic Posts: 6