User Topic: Being served
Member # 25204
Default  Posted: 5:59 PM, April 1st (Tuesday)

What exactly is in the paperwork when your POS is served divorce papers? We began this process 5 years ago and stopped it. Thought things could be worked out however it did not. So I begin the whole process over. I could easily call my L but I don't want unnecessary fees adding up for single questions.

Is it just informing them a petition is being filed?. Or does it start to get into things like custody, etc??


Me: BW. 40's
Him: WH POS. 40's
2 kids. DD16, DS14

Don't let my user name fool you...I am NOT hopeful for us at ALL!!

Posts: 69 | Registered: Aug 2009 | From: New York
Member # 37468
Default  Posted: 6:05 PM, April 1st (Tuesday)

It depends on the state, but the broad outline of a lawsuit is that you file with the court, and service is giving the other party a copy of the papers you filed with the court (along with any legally required notices, which can exist with divorces). If you use a process server, that is generally sufficient proof that you've served the other party and the clock to respond starts. Alternately there are other ways to provide service such as getting the other party to sign an acceptance of service in front of a notary.

Again, this varies by state.

Me, 32. DD, 8. DS, 6 (deceased).

Posts: 846 | Registered: Nov 2012
Topic Posts: 2