Return to Forum List

Return to New Beginnings® > New Beginnings

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Spousal Support

lizgwvet posted 2/2/2019 11:32 AM

I just received text from exwh that he could not give me the full amount of my support this month.
Cited medical bills not covered by insurance.

So far I have not responded to text, just thinking he is back to his old MO. I saw him 2 weeks ago at my son's group home, he was visiting and I was picking son up. He did not look well, I was thinking he might be drinking again.
Two years ago he drove drunk ( bac.20)with our seriously disabled son, luckily they both didn't get killed. I do not allow him to drive DS anywhere, he does visit DS about 1x per month on average.

I noticed he had a new car ( Jaguar convertible, he is a manager at a Jaguar dealership) so apparently he can afford the leasing payments.

Advice please, my initial reaction is to ignore text and inform my attorney. I want to stay NC.

Thanks all!

CatsEye posted 2/2/2019 13:33 PM

I think your instincts are correct. There is no point in trying to get people like that to be reasonable, and if you give him an inch, he'll take thirty miles. Plus, no contact is definitely preferable.

betsy62 posted 2/3/2019 19:20 PM

Can you set up his support payments to be automatically taken from his account, and deposited into yours?
That is how I get my support payments. It was a very easy process to get it set up.

lizgwvet posted 2/3/2019 21:21 PM

He would have to do it correct?
Yes, I would love that.

Ripped62 posted 2/3/2019 21:38 PM

This ^^^^^^^^^^

I am not familiar with the legal procedures regarding alimony and child support for the state of Washington.

I would contact the appropriate agency or your attorney. I would also have it taken out of his check by the appropriate agency and the agency deposit it into your account. This way if he feels you need to take up the slack for his budgeting mistakes or life choices in the future normally they garnish the payment and will not put up with his antics.

betsy62 posted 2/3/2019 21:53 PM

Talk to your lawyer. They will know the agency to contact.
Once the agency sees your divorce decree, and you fill out some paperwork, your X's employer will be contacted, and the garnishment will be filed.
He is not involved at all, except to get the notice from his employer that the garnishment will start.
He can't do anything about it.
At least, that is how it works where I live.

lizgwvet posted 2/3/2019 22:59 PM

Thank you Betsy,
I hate to pay more attorney fees, but it seems necessary.
Unfortunately EXWH made a lot of bad choices.

EvenKeel posted 2/4/2019 07:05 AM

Does your attorney offer paralegal services? Like if I needed to speak with my attorney it was $XX for 15 mins....but if I could speak with the paralegal it was only half that.

The question you have for your attorney is a very simple one that would take a couple minutes so this should not be a high-dollar attorney bill for you.

I would call your courthouse first. They would be able to tell you where to go to fill out those forms for free.

I definitely agree to get this set up via garnishment if possible.

Return to Forum List

Return to New Beginnings

© 2002-2020 ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy