Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

more information about cookies...

Return to Forum List

Return to Divorce/Separation

SurvivingInfidelity.com® > Divorce/Separation

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

Iím back...again

StormyPrincess posted 10/29/2020 05:36 AM

Seriously was getting ready this past weekend to come on here and update yíall. And I was going to do it in the new beginning section. Sold the house, bought a new house all by myself and moved in October 1. Been trying to decorate with my daughter and make it our own. I got news yesterday from my oldest child that the ex has quit his job. He is currently in a brand new house that he bought with his girlfriend. My understanding is he took a job that is hourly And will be laid off for the winter. Also laid off during inclement weather throughout the rest of the seasons. Any ideas what this means for me as far as child support and spousal support? Those numbers werenít factored in for me qualifying for the mortgage I have for this house but I sure do rely on that income. He was In a managerial position for almost the past 20 years and salaried and I was a custom to a certain way of life and thatís how the spousal support was determined. The child support I believe is based on both our incomes. I I donít want to have to move again or change the way Iím doing things for myself for my daughter based on this. Anybody able to chime in as this happened to any of you? Who lets the state know that he Change jobs? Iím sure he wonít but itís garnished so maybe his employer well? Thanks for being here friend. Sorry itís been so long since Iíve checked in. I really wanted to be posting a new beginnings I was feeling so good about everything.

The1stWife posted 10/29/2020 06:42 AM

Call your attorney immediately.

His payments being garnishedó because he didnít pay?

He cannot pay less b/c he makes less. That needs to be changed by a court order - is that what you have?

StormyPrincess posted 10/29/2020 06:47 AM

So glad you are up!
Iím freaking out. Wages garnished because apparently that is a Minnesota thing?
Iíll let attorney know today.. yes, both child support and spousal support are court ordered.
Thank you.

Catwoman posted 10/29/2020 06:54 AM

Been down this road multiple times.

He simply cannot stop paying because of this.

He could go to court and petition for a modification, but that may or may not be successful because you might be able to successfully argue that he is willfully underemployed (this seems like it is the case).

Touch base with your attorney--you may need to call the agency in charge of support collection and let them know that he has changed jobs. They should be able to do the rest. If his wages are indeed garnished, then they should apply the garnishment order to the new employer.

Get on top of this now. Do NOT communicate with HIM--just with the agency in charge of support collection and your attorney. Call your attorney first--they should be able to tell you what steps to take.


Adlham posted 10/29/2020 16:15 PM

I always let the state know when my ex changed jobs. They have super access powers to information that we don't and they will catch up with the garnishment much more quickly.

As far as him trying to modify, all I had to do was point out that he was more than capable of finding a job with comparable wages and they denied his request.

Garnishment is a thing in Oregon, too. It's a much better way imo because they keep track and also because if they stop paying, the next step is much more fun.

In states that don't automatically garnish, that's usually the first step the state takes after months of no child support. We get to skip that step.

Definitely talk to a lawyer, especially because every state is different, but those have been my personal experiences.

Good luck!

The1stWife posted 10/29/2020 19:25 PM

Well at least you have a record of his payments and he will continue to pay the same amount unless he petitions the court.

And if he wants to pay less he needs to do it the hard way. Fight to get it court ordered.

Return to Forum List

Return to Divorce/Separation

© 2002-2021 SurvivingInfidelity.com ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy