Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: Nanckat2028

Just Found Out :
I want to reconcile, but my WW isn't sure. Has anyone been through this?

default

 mertonman (original poster new member #87849) posted at 3:14 PM on Wednesday, October 7th, 2026

Hi, I'm looking for perspectives from people who have been in a similar situation, particularly where the betrayed spouse initially wanted reconciliation but the unfaithful spouse wasn't sure whether they wanted the marriage.

I'm a man in my mid-40s, married for 12 years, together about 16, with three children. D-Day was a few weeks ago, and it came as an enormous shock which has devastated me.

My wife had an emotional/sexual affair with someone we knew. From what I currently understand, the relationship developed emotionally in the early Summer and became physical around August. It wasn't a years-long affair. The explicitly romantic/physical part seems to have been relatively short, they had sex a few times and kissed a few times. My wife said she had, and still does have, feelings for him.

There's quite a lot of context to what happened before the affair, and I'm trying hard not to minimise my own part in the deterioration of our marriage. My wife had been very unhappy for some time. We had become disconnected, there wasn't much affection or fun, we argued, and she felt criticised and controlled by me at times. She also felt overwhelmed by the mental load of our three children and the household and that I wasn't listening when she was telling me she needed more help.

Looking back, there were things I badly failed to hear. Earlier this year she was very explicit about how overwhelmed and unhappy she was, and I didn't respond in the way I wish I had. I can understand why she's now angry that it has taken the possibility of losing my marriage for me to make significant changes.

I'm in individual therapy as well as couples therapy and I'm trying to work seriously on my own behaviour rather than simply saying I'll change. I'm also very conscious that a few weeks of behaving differently during a crisis doesn't prove lasting change. However, the part I'm struggling enormously with is her explanation of the affair.

She says that by the time the affair became physical, the marriage was effectively "over" for her in her head. She had emotionally checked out and believed we no longer really had a relationship. From my perspective, however, I had absolutely not been told that our marriage was over. We hadn't separated, hadn't agreed that either of us could see other people, were still living together as husband and wife and parenting our children together, and we'd even had sex relatively shortly before the affair began. So I experience what happened as straightforward infidelity and a profound betrayal. She seems to struggle with that framing because in her mind she'd already concluded the marriage was finished. She acknowledges she didn't communicate this to me in any shape or form, but still does not view what she did as cheating.

She has acknowledged that what she did was the wrong choice and that we should have officially separated before she became involved with someone else. But I don't yet feel she fully understands or accepts the betrayal from my perspective. She can become quite defensive when we discuss it.

At the same time, she isn't currently saying that she definitely wants to leave. She has ended things with the AP and says she isn't going to see, speak to or message him. She has said she needs him out of the picture so that she can work out what she actually wants. She is continuing couples therapy with me.
She has also said things along the lines of being "getting to the point where I'm thinking, okay, let's try," but that when I pressure her for answers or keep asking where her head is, she feels overwhelmed and backs away.

She still has feelings for the AP and seems to be grieving the loss of that relationship which is extremely difficult for me to witness. At the same time she is very angry and resentful towards me about the state of our marriage before the affair and understandably doesn't yet trust that the changes she's seeing in me will last. So we're in a strange situation where I'm the betrayed spouse but I'm currently the one who is certain that I want to attempt reconciliation, while my wife is the one deciding whether she wants to. Emotionally, that feels completely backwards.

Part of me thinks: You had the affair. Why am I auditioning for my own marriage while you decide whether I'm worth staying with? Another part of me understands that she'd emotionally disengaged from the marriage before I discovered the affair and that I can't force her to suddenly want the marriage just because D-Day has happened.

Our couples therapist has encouraged me to stop pushing for certainty and give my wife some genuine space. I'm trying to do that now — no asking about the AP unless something new actually happens, no repeatedly asking whether she's decided, no monitoring, and no trying to persuade her to reconcile.
That's incredibly difficult because uncertainty is probably the thing I'm struggling with most. My brain constantly wants information and reassurance. I'm also conscious that repeated questioning is making things worse rather than making me safer.

I have a few questions for people who've actually lived through something similar:

If you were the BS who wanted reconciliation while your WS was unsure, how did you handle that period? How long did you tolerate the uncertainty before you needed a decision? Did giving the WS space actually help them move towards reconciliation, or did it simply prolong limbo?

For anyone whose WS initially justified/minimised the affair by saying "the marriage was already over in my head" or something similar — did that mindset ever change? Did they eventually come to understand the affair as a betrayal independently of whatever was wrong with the marriage beforehand?

If you successfully reconciled, did genuine remorse/accountability come immediately, or did it develop later once the WS had got out of defensiveness/shame/affair fog?

How much information about the affair did you ultimately need? I'm not interested in graphic sexual details, but I feel I need a reasonably coherent timeline and understanding of what happened, when feelings developed, when boundaries were crossed, and whether there's anything significant I still don't know. At the moment my wife feels she's answered enough questions and gets overwhelmed by them. Did you park those questions temporarily and return to them later?

Finally, how did you know the difference between giving your WS reasonable time to make a huge decision and accepting an unfair situation in which you were effectively auditioning while they decided whether to choose you?

I'm aware people may tell me I'm crazy for wanting reconciliation at all. Maybe I am. But we've had 16 years together, three children and a huge amount of shared life. Despite everything that's happened, I love my wife and I don't want to end the marriage without finding out whether we could build something very different from the relationship we'd allowed it to become.

At the same time, I'm beginning to understand that reconciliation can't ultimately consist of me changing while she evaluates me. If we do decide to try, I need it eventually to become two people actively rebuilding — me taking responsibility for the ways I hurt her before the affair, and her taking responsibility for the affair and helping me recover from the betrayal.

I'm only a few weeks out from D-Day, so I also recognise that I'm probably trying to get answers to things that simply can't be answered yet.

I'd particularly appreciate hearing from people who were actually in this BS wants R / WS is ambivalent situation — including people for whom it ultimately worked and people who eventually decided they'd waited long enough.

Thanks for reading, and if any of this resonates I would be so grateful for any perspectives, insights or shared experiences.

Me: BH, 46 | Her: WW, 45 | Married 12 years, together 16 | 3 kids
D-Day: Sept 2026 | AP: someone known to the family | Currently: undecided / in MC

posts: 1   ·   registered: Oct. 7th, 2026   ·   location: England
id 8907005
default

BackfromtheStorm ( member #86900) posted at 4:58 PM on Wednesday, October 7th, 2026

She says that by the time the affair became physical, the marriage was effectively "over" for her in her head.

This quote is but one of an infinite stream of bullshit you will hear from a cheater to justify their cheating.

Let me call it out.

If you check out from a relationship A) you leave B) you fuck around.

Doing first B then A is cheating.

Did she tell you and leave you before the guy or conveniently ignored it until you found out?

Now, pack her stuff, show her the door and tell her to go follow her feelings, because you will be following yours and you will not live in infidelity.

She checked out, so you are doing her a favor right?

Then watch her squirm, because is bullshit.

Friend, you can’t never reconcile with a cheater, that is impossible.

You will be dancing the pick me dance and allow her to abuse you more, destroy what little of your self worth and love you have left for her stupid dopamine validation.

Reconciliation can only happen with a person who is so disgusted by how they allowed themselves to cheat that they will vomit at the mere idea of infidelity.

Your wife is not even ashamed, she probably see you dancing the dance and she is reveling in her power over you.

Will manipulate you.
Will abuse you sexually and emotionally over and over.
You will die inside from it.

Read about the hard 180 set ironclad boundaries and treat her how she deserves.

A pitiful disgusting pig rolling in the mud with other worthless pigs.
Unworthy of anything else than detached interaction about house chores, kids and the direction to get the fuck out of your life forever.

Unless she is ready to crawl over broken glass for forgiveness, she doesn’t deserve anything more.

You are welcome to send me a PM if you think I can help you. I respond when I can.

posts: 1151   ·   registered: Jan. 7th, 2026   ·   location: Poland
id 8907013
default

Letmebefrank ( member #86994) posted at 5:34 PM on Wednesday, October 7th, 2026

First of all, I’m sorry this happened to you. And full disclosure, I did not experience an ambivalent wayward (I was left), so I can’t opine from direct experience. But your situation is common enough.

No one here will tell you you’re crazy for wanting to reconcile, that’s most of the people on this site. But as you point out, you can’t reconcile by yourself.

As BFTS wrote, what she did is cheating. You cannot have a private divorce in your own head. You can, and should, own your part in the breakdown of the marriage, but no one is exonerated from cheating because they were unhappy first. She doesn’t want to view it as cheating because she doesn’t want to admit that she is a cheater. No one likes to be the villain in their own story. It’s preferable in her own mind that you be to blame for being a bad husband.

One thing people talk about here is whether someone is a "good candidate" for reconciliation. Part of that is binary - the wayward has to want to reconcile! But beyond that, people look for remorse. This is the pinned post on the Reconciliation forum, and it discusses it clearly. https://www.survivinginfidelity.com/topics/586809/beyond-regret-and-remorse/

She has no remorse. She’s not even really sorry about it. She thinks it was justified and even OK, and gets angry and defensive when you try to discuss it. You have nothing to work with in that case.

I have strong concerns that the A is not over. She says she ended it, but have you seen any proof? Many BPs have been in couples counseling with a wayward who claimed to have ended things but secretly didn’t. So - are you sure it’s over?

ETA: if AP is married, you should inform his wife.

[This message edited by Letmebefrank at 5:48 PM, Wednesday, October 7th]

posts: 376   ·   registered: Jan. 31st, 2026
id 8907016
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy