Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

more information about cookies...

Return to Forum List

Return to Divorce/Separation

SurvivingInfidelity.com® > Divorce/Separation

You are not logged in. Login here or register.

How do you write a declaration for divorce?

Countingsheep65 posted 7/7/2020 19:32 PM

Can someone give me ideas how this works?

I am not good putting letters together, like how do you even start?

leafields posted 7/8/2020 11:53 AM

Find the website for the county clerk and divorce or family law. Most websites will have a section that has a self-help manual, or a link to the necessary documents.

Some things that will determine which forms need to be filed are whether or not there are minor children involved, and whether the divorce is contested on uncontested. The forms, which are usually on your state's website, are pretty much fill-in-the-blank. You don't have to come up with the main language.

Our county also has a Divorce Orientation class that's supposed to help walk you through the process. You may see what resources your county clerk's office has.

Catwoman posted 7/8/2020 19:47 PM

Is there some reason you don't want to use an attorney, or a mediator?

If you have children, I think a pro-se divorce is a very poor idea. You don't know the laws of your jurisdiction, and that could cause some very serious issues down the road.


gmc94 posted 7/8/2020 19:56 PM

I don't know what a "declaration of divorce" is, but most local county courts have what's called a "pro se" divorce handbook with all the forms.

Given your other post on legal S vs D.... that you were considering legal separation bc of health care coverage (and that you are unable to work bc of a physical disability), I'm curious as to why you are even contemplating proceeding without an attorney. At a minimum, I would consult an attorney to see if you are eligible for disability (which I THINK would make you eligible for Medicaid). Trying to get disability w/o an attorney is not, IMHO, a good idea.

Countingsheep65 posted 7/9/2020 22:29 PM

I did hire a attorney last week, but I had to do this declaration letter, guess it goes to the court, anyway I fuddled through it, attorney office will suggest changes if needed.

It will be filed for divorce, I want my last name back.

Getting on disability is a joke.

I still work, but part time, my career is on my feet a lot.

Return to Forum List

Return to Divorce/Separation

© 2002-2021 SurvivingInfidelity.com ®. All Rights Reserved.     Privacy Policy