Hello SI, hoping for some guidance
I am WS. At the beginning of my relationship with BS I was unfaithful over the course of a few months with sex workers. I disclosed this 2 years later out of guilt and we separated.
Since then we've been in different countries. BS dated someone else initially, I didn't. After about 12 months we had sporadic attempts at R - by phone and text etc. And eventually met a few times.
This didn't work out fully,as I now understand because BS didn't see enough change. I can see she was right about that.
Anyway, I accepted this and began dating others. After about three months of that, we had a more significant conversation about R.
This is where it gets tough. I laid out some things that I needed from her, which in hindsight and after reading a lot here, seems crazy. But my concerns are around her anger and disrespect [again this seems crazy but I will say these issues predate DDay and are observable in her behavior with others].
We had already done much of the timeline of things back around Dday. She asked me not to pursue others during R. I ceased contact with the one individual I was pursuing at the time.
We had some very good conversations and then some backsliding to old patterns over the next 5 weeks. I became disillusioned that the contempt and disrespect is still strong [again my impatience seems crazy here]. I voiced this to BS but she [rightly] would get angry, which of course I added to my scorecard.
About a week ago I mentally checked out and shamefully restarted conversation with the person I was pursuing prior. I maintained conversation with both until finally ending things with BS a couple of days ago. As of now I have date with this OW upcoming
In this last week I have been an absolute mess. I suddenly see the immense stupidity of how I've behaved, the incredible hurt this would likely cause BS were she to know.
And I am deeply scared. Scared of what R would look like, how long it would take. How it could have been a lot easier without this latest mistake. Whether we would be fighting for something that's unhealthy anyway
I'm also shocked by how I let myself do this again. By how easily my own needs ran over those of BS. And realise i haven't dealt with the underlying issues properly. I wouldn't say we have rugswept but living apart since Dday while maintaining semi-togrther behaviors has probably obscured some of the work needed.
I suppose one of my questions is when do you make a choice that this is too much of a mess? That you're just bad for the person you love. How do you ever balance real concerns about other parts of the relationship while facing the scale of the immense damage you've caused?
It may all be moot as we haven't spoke in a couple of days and she may have gone NC for which I wouldn't blame her
I should say she is an incredible woman whom i love very dearly. I do worry that we are not right or good for each other. Certainly i have been very bad for her
Very lost
Edit: I should add, on re-reading it. I'm still not doing a great job focusing on HER pain here. I'm an idiot
[This message edited by Squeakywheel at 7:23 AM, Thursday, October 1st]