Cookies are required for login or registration. Please read and agree to our cookie policy to continue.

Newest Member: luvinmykiddos4

Just Found Out :
20 years together, 3 burner phones, emotional affair, mental breakdown... yet I still want it to work

default

 luvinmykiddos4 (original poster new member #87863) posted at 9:12 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

This is very hard to write but I am thankful to have come across this group. I read some of the other stories and it almost felt as if I was talking about myself, I pray for some strength from realizing I am not alone.

I have been with my partner for 20 years, overall a very good relationship and we have been through everything imaginable together. He has always been my best friend.

At the end of May I discovered he was having an emotional affair with a woman living in Canada, we are in the US. It was his girlfriend from 45 years ago and it threw my entire world into turmoil.

Once discovered there were over 200+ hours of phone calls, 72 pages of texts... an average of 3 hours per day.

To say I was crushed was an understatement. I blocked access on our phone account only to have them begin communicating through messenger, eventually 1, 2, 3 burner phones.

I had a mental breakdown in July because I felt my entire foundation of my life had dropped out from under me. Many health issues, quit my job, ran away to a hotel for a while.

Each time discovered though he would promise it was over, only to have me discover another phone.

I wanted to be strong and say leave... I actually did make him move out twice, but each time I allowed and wanted him to come home.

I'm back working again and trying to focus on getting myself stronger. At this point I do know there is still a burner phone in our garage, which I have no access to. It taunts me constantly.

He has told me I can look any time I want, yet there is part of me that just doesn't want to know anymore. I just want my life back.

He has always been a man of integrity, ethics and protection of our lives.... I am now so afraid of what has happened and I truly wonder if I will ever be 'normal' again.

I still want our relationship to work, I still love him and want to believe him so badly. His actions show he is trying and does love me but the lies and that phone in the garage still haunt me all the time.

I feel broken hearted to read others posts and realize the devastation each of us is feeling... it truly debilitates everything in life and it is so hard to get ourselves back.

I'm just happy to find others that can truly understand and that we can offer support for one another

posts: 4   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2026   ·   location: Colorado
id 8907279
default

Leeleelu ( member #87698) posted at 9:57 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

Hello and I’m so sorry to hear that you’re here. It helped me a lot to browse some of the pinned posts for newbies , the articles in the healing library, etc… make sure you are taking care of yourself , get a therapist that specializes in trauma if you haven’t already, try to eat and sleep and see the doctor to get medicine to help you with anxiety or sleeping if needed. In terms of your situation, he may have been a man with integrity previously, but he is not being a man with integrity now. Unfortunately you cannot make it work with someone who is still committing infidelity. You should have access to all of his accounts and all of the truth. You need him to make a timeline of the infidelity so there is no mystery about what he’s done or continues doing. And he needs to show legitimate remorse to be considered a candidate for reconciliation. How does he respond when you talk to him about what happened ? The thing about the burner phone shows me that he’s not really being completely forthcoming about the affair still.

D days 2023, 2024, August 2026. Together 5 years. Living in limbo until I find my strength

posts: 59   ·   registered: Aug. 20th, 2026
id 8907284
default

Leeleelu ( member #87698) posted at 10:00 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

Also
" He has told me I can look any time I want, yet there is part of me that just doesn't want to know anymore. I just want my life back."
This is a totally normal response , but I promise you as someone who tried to forget without doing any real healing, it will eat you alive years later when you think you’ve gotten past it. Your old life with him is unfortunately over , and the only hope you have with him is if he decides to work on himself and take major steps to fix the damage and find out what’s broken in him to lead him to do this to you in the first place. Wishing you peace !

D days 2023, 2024, August 2026. Together 5 years. Living in limbo until I find my strength

posts: 59   ·   registered: Aug. 20th, 2026
id 8907285
default

 luvinmykiddos4 (original poster new member #87863) posted at 10:59 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

Thank you for your kind response... I do realize everything you are saying is true. It's so amazing how we can convince ourselves that 'everything will be alright' even when we know it really isn't.

About the phone in the garage... he simply states that it is dead, he hasn't looked at it and that I can look at it any time I want. I contemplated it last night as we took our walk, however, as I said before, I'm scared of what I will find. Also, it really wouldn't prove anything because he could always delete any call logs or texts.

With the first burner phone I asked to see it and he smashed it with a hammer.

With the second burner phone I discovered he had sent pictures (yes of her) from our phone account to a different number. He said he was doing it to get it off of his phone so it wouldn't upset me.... ummm, you are still keeping her photos.

With that phone he made a big production of us, together, throwing it into a lake.

I just discovered the third burner phone two weeks ago when it showed up on my wifi. He had literally just moved back in two weeks before after I had asked him to move out.

Upon that discovery I once again asked him to leave and he chose to live in our garage. That wasn't going to work and he knew it. We live in an apartment complex and he knew I would cave in and ask him to come home.

As for the third phone I told him I do not want it in this house, period, and that I would know. So now it is in his garage, which I have no access too.

I called the woman myself, at this point three times and I know I need to stop. She is really nuts and insists they have been in love for 50 years even though they have not seen each other and didn't have any contact until this all began in May.

It's all just been mind numbing and heart breaking.

His actions do say he is trying to make things right, however he is not a big talker and so I still have so many questions. If I ask a question he is very good at deflecting and making me feel as if I am wrong for asking.

So, at this point I've set a six month goal to see if things can get better or if all trust is destroyed forever. I can't afford to live on my own so that is what I am working on now so that I am financially independent.

I truly do pray that he has come around but how can I trust right now when he just lied and lied and lied and was so deceitful. I'm not sure how that can ever be rebuilt again.

posts: 4   ·   registered: Oct. 9th, 2026   ·   location: Colorado
id 8907288
default

Leeleelu ( member #87698) posted at 11:21 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

I hear you - it definitely is mind numbing ! And it can feel so confusing. I think it’s great that you set a time limit for yourself to try and see how you feel. It takes the pressure off for now and gives you those months to reflect and sit back and observe his actions. The fact that he deflects shows me he is not yet showing remorse. I think you need to go through all of his accounts and phones. It hurts but pretending that phone isn’t there will not make the pain go away. I unfortunately would guess that he has not yet gone no contact with the affair partner. It doesn’t sound like he’s trying to make you feel safe at all. He is having his own emotional response .. smashing the phone with a hammer etc. , as someone who has had mental crisis myself I can only imagine how stressful all of that was for you. You are incredibly strong and you are going to make it through this !

D days 2023, 2024, August 2026. Together 5 years. Living in limbo until I find my strength

posts: 59   ·   registered: Aug. 20th, 2026
id 8907290
default

The1stWife ( Guide #58832) posted at 11:43 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

If he lies and lies how do you know via his actions he is trying?

They contradict each other IMO.

And that will keep you in limbo longer than necessary.

Survived two affairs and brink of Divorce. Happily reconciled. 12 years out from Dday. Reconciliation takes two committed people to be successful.

posts: 15829   ·   registered: May. 19th, 2017
id 8907294
default

Letmebefrank ( member #86994) posted at 11:59 PM on Friday, October 9th, 2026

I’m really sorry you are going through this.

I am encouraged to see you say you’re focused on yourself and getting stronger. That will be the key for you - getting to a place where you know you’ll be ok no matter what.

The lesson of this site is in some ways that two people who really want to reconcile can overcome just about any betrayal. That said, you had a mental breakdown and "many health issues". No relationship is worth your health or sanity.

Your "best friend" saw all this and his choice was to keep buying burner phones. That’s such a thorough annihilation of trust that you really will have to learn to trust yourself and not him. He has no credibility, even if he’s "trying" now. False R is so wickedly cruel.

Keep seeking your strength so that worst comes to worst, you’ll be sad and disappointed but not having mental and physical health crises.

posts: 379   ·   registered: Jan. 31st, 2026
id 8907296
Cookies on SurvivingInfidelity.com®

SurvivingInfidelity.com® uses cookies to enhance your visit to our website. This is a requirement for participants to login, post and use other features. Visitors may opt out, but the website will be less functional for you.

v.1.001.20260728a 2002-2026 SurvivingInfidelity.com® All Rights Reserved. • Privacy Policy